KUALA LUMPUR: The government on June 9 gave an assurance that Kampung Baru will continue to be 100% owned by Bumiputeras and that plans for property development in the Malay settlement on a 60:40 ratio
(Bumiputeras/Non-Bumiputeras) was merely a proposal.
 
Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin said the government would not compel landowners there to accept the ratio.

"The government understands the worries of Kampung Baru residents about this ratio and gives its assurance that the settlement will continue to be 100% owned by Bumiputeras but commercial development might be considered to be opened to non-bumiputeras.

"Any development in Kampung Baru must have the consent of the landowners and the ratio proposal is not a final decision, he said, adding that the government would also not invoke the Land Acquistion Act to develop Kampung Baru.

He told this to reporters after holding a meeting with various Malay Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) among them Perdasama, Perkasa and GPMS on the issue of developing Kampung Baru, at City Hall's headquarters here today. Also present were the ministry's deputy secretary-general Datuk Bakaruddin Othman, Perdasama president Datuk Izat Emir, Perkasa president Datuk Ibrahim Ali and GPMS secretary-general Zambri Mohd Isa.

Raja Nong Chik said the NGOs involved in the discussion were for development of the settlement but against ownership falling into the hands on non-Bumiputeras. He added that he would be holding a follow-up meeting with landowners and beneficiaries of Kampung Baru next week to discuss in further detail development plans for it.

On the suggestion by former Kuala Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Elyas Omar that government linked companies (GLCs) be enlisted for the development of Kampung Baru, he said Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), Lembaga Tabung Haji and Pemodalan Hartanah Berhad had been identified for the purpose.

Kampung Baru is a Malay enclave in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. It is also one of the most valuable tracts of land in the capital and is estimated to be worth up to RM5 billion. But so far Kampung Baru elders have turned developers away, saying they want to preserve their ethnic Malay lifestyle -Bernama

SHARE