KUALA LUMPUR (July 8): An ex-political aide of former Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu has been remanded for six days over a graft case involving a project in the Ministry of Defence worth RM56 million, according to a source who is familiar with the matter.

Putrajaya Magistrate’s Court issued the remand order beginning today, after Magistrate Shah Wira approved an application by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

This follows the detention of the man at the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya last night, after he was summoned by the graft busters to have his statement recorded, the source said.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the man had allegedly received millions of ringgit in kickbacks from a company as an inducement for helping to secure the project through direct negotiation from the Ministry in August last year, the source added.

The source did not provide the details of the project but various news outlets reported that it entails the provision of maintenance services for the country’s security system.

It is also learned that MACC had seized cash of more than RM70,000 and some documents in relation to the project. The case is being investigated under Section 17(a) of the MACC Act.

Stay safe. Keep updated on the latest news at www.EdgeProp.my 

Click here for more property stories.

SHARE
RELATED POSTS
  1. Salim Fateh Din appointed MACC Anti-Corruption Advisory Board chairman
  2. MACC examining documents on alleged misconduct by DBKL advisory board member over RM4m project, says Azam
  3. Encorp fires CEO after internal probe linked to MACC charge